Tuesday, May 17, 2005

A few days from now in a county far, far (30 miles) away...

Not that anyone here has asked, but yes, I am pretty excited about Episode III opening on at midnight on Wednesday (or is it midnight Thursday?). I've avoided following all the fan talk and geekdom surrounding this one... or should I say, work has kept me too occupied to be able to follow the insanity... and so I wasn't able to get the holy grail of tickets - for the midnight screening at the Arclight - but my buddy Phil had a better back up plan: Tickets to the midnight screening at AMC Disney, meaning we make a day of Disneyland on Wednesday, see the movie at midnight, and stay over at the Disneyland hotel. Our girlfriends will be with us, and I imagine they'll find something else to do when we get in line for the film at 8pm or 9pm.

Granted, its not as cool as my experience back when Episode I opened, when I got to watch the film with George Lucas himself (see pic) at Skywalker Ranch... sigh.

While I imagine dozens of Star Wars geeks will go into a deep depression, a coma, or possibly commit suicide, because the film series is "complete", I'm confident that the bofo box office will convince Lucas, if not his eventual heirs, to make another trilogy (yes, I know about the plans for a Star Wars TV series).

In the meantime, we have Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Chronicles of Narnia, and the season of finale of Lost to look forward to.

If you haven't been following it, Blogging LA has been following the "woe is me" tale of the Star Wars geeks waiting in the wrong line at Graumans Chinese... eagle eyed readers might notice that I'm the one who tipped them off to this revelation...