Friday, January 14, 2005

A living legend.

I've had a record number of hits to my site in the last 24 hours.

The cause? Search engine results from people looking up Charlie Womack, who was killed in the La Conchita mudslide. The man must have been loved by many, many, many people.

I'm pretty sure I met him once or twice, but it seems like the other people I know, from the flower shop as well as Rodleen, didn't merely know the guy, but held him in very high esteem.

What struck me most about reading the details of his life was that he was sleeping in a teepee he'd built when he was effectively swallowed by the mountain. I don't want to disrespect the man or his memory, but I think thats pretty bad ass. People are killed in car accidents, building fires... but while in a homemade teepee? As far as ways to die go, how fitting for such a living legend?