Saturday, February 19, 2005

"Why should my past prevent me from having a future?" - Jeff Gannon aka James Guckert

I've only now been catching up on this whole "White House Press Plant" story, so please, as I post a few thoughts on the topic, will anyone with more knowledge of the issue please correct me or fill me in?

1. The guy's not a reporter. He's a publicist for the White House, unofficially, nonsanctioned, or otherwise. Unless you consider merely reciting press releases without questioning any details "reporting".
2. The guy was a hooker. A gay hooker. I have no problem with this. But he claims that all sorts of journalists use pseudonyms, and he chose his (Jeff Gannon), because James Guckert is too hard to pronounce (like Christiane Amanpour), but that it had little to do with his past.
3. He believes that credibility has nothing to do with your past.
4. In the wake of the Gannon expose by bloggers, Fox News hack Sean Hannity says that bloggers aren't to be trusted, just months after Hannity blessed bloggers for revealing the Rathergate documents as fakes.

But the big question I have is - Gannon/Guckert - is obviously an overzealous, flamingly gay right winger... but where's the evidence that he's a White House plant?

Thanks to Bunny McIntosh to posting this link to an interview with Gannon/Guckert by Anderson Cooper, as well as some fun details on his callboy past...