Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Cleaner Dogs

A little over a year ago I asked my friend Al Kramer to read a few lines for the short, "How To Vote". I ended up using him as the bookends. If you've seen it, you may have believed Al was Tony Pierce, Age 110. In actuality, Al is a sprite 92 years old, and still quite interested in pop culture and the world at large.

After the shoot, Al gave me a dog he made out of pipe cleaners, a token he often gives to people who have either meant something to him, or he simply believed would appreciate the gift. Since then, I've talked with Al enough to know he has an incredible amount of life experiences to share (as a working actor in Hollywood, to travelling with the circus, and hanging out with Marlon Brando, as well as sharing birthday parties with Grace Kelly).

I decided to take a stab at documentary style filmmaking with my latest short, and asked Al if I could interview him about his "Cleaner Dogs." He agreed. While I may not have captured it completely, the story begins when he was 14, and continues to this day.

The resulting short is far from complete, let alone perfect, but I still thought my handful of readers might appreciate what I've been working on for the past few days.

Cleaner Dogs
6.9mb, WMV