Friday, May 14, 2004

Dastardly Moustache

After ten days of stubble started growing into a beard, last night I decided to shave. But, this time I left myself a moustache and soul patch, as I've been inspired by my recent indulgence of Westerns.

I was hoping the facial hair would like like this guy, Seth Bullock (Timothy Olyphant, left) on my favorite show "Deadwood".

Instead, I think that I ended up looking more like this guy, Al Swearengen (Ian McShane, right) the ultimate villain from the same show:

Alas, I woke up this morning and shaved off the 'stache. Claire seemed relieved - she pretended to like it last night, but said I looked like a drug dealer. Normally, I'd take that as a compliment, but she's known real drug dealers, and the real ones aren't as cool looking as the ones on TV. I just thought I looked dastardly. For a moment I fancied the thought of being able to twiddle the ends of my moustache as I planned to rule the world.

As I wrapping up this post, I found this like minded article:

We're here today to mourn the passing of the moustache from the realm of things that have the potential to ever be cool again...
It's not that I have something personal against moustaches. I was watching the new HBO series Deadwood the other day and marvelling at how cool everyone looked in the Old West, with their battered suede jackets and dusty cowboy hats and wild, unkempt moustaches.
I think back then if you were seen on the street without one you'd be automatically challenged to a gunfight at high noon, but it would be one of those unfair ones where guys with rifles in the saloon windows would shoot you in the back before you could draw. The Old West was not a good place to be smooth-faced...


source: "Scrape off the 'stache" from Canoe/CNews April 24, 2004