Sunday, May 02, 2004

Three Years

Today is Claire and my's third anniversary since our very first date. Damn thats a long time. I bought her some crossword puzzles, a book, and dinner... and plan on making her dinner Sunday night. She got me an annual pass to Disneyland. Pretty neat - they have the new "Tower of Terror" opening this week... more importantly, I'm hooked on their "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" game - just like the show, only instead of a million, you're eligible for a cruise trip. I got to sit in the hot seat the last time we went, and I came two questions away from the grand prize. How the hell should I know what "The Little Mermaid's" real name is? I walked away with some tacky pins and a polo shirt.

Anyway, Claire and had dinner at the Pink Pepper, a Thai place at La Brea and Hollywood. Nothing fancy. But, just before we left we saw Dominic Monaghan, aka Pippin the Hobbit from "Lord of the Rings" walk out. I'm usually unfazed by celebrity sightings - in L.A. they're a common occurrance, and a work hazard - but anyone from "Star Wars", "Lord of the Rings", or "Office Space" deserves mention. (and, if you'll recall from an earlier posting, I saw Pippin's cohort Billy Boyd, aka Merry, at my friend Josh's party a few weeks before).

Earlier today, I was a little disturbed to see a healthy line outside of the Mann's National Theatre in Westwood for a showing of "Mean Girls." Am I so out of touch with film that I don't know what could be a hit these days? My friend Kevin and I, ever since high school, would make bets on weekend box office grosses. It was eerie how close we'd get - we'd could have made a killing if we could have made bets in Vegas. But after living in L.A. a few years, my skills dropped off. Too close to the action? Now I feel so busy with other aspects of my life... like blogging... that a teen flick called "Mean Girls" was totally off my radar.

Even worse, I suppose, is that I've yet to see "The Punisher", based on my favorite all time Marvel characters. Maybe I'm still reeling at the last adaptation attempt with Dolph Lundgren.

As for anniversaries, it also struck me a few years ago that its been three years since I've spoken with my friend Kevin, which is a shame. A falling out that, well, sometimes regrettably happens between friends... anyway, if you're reading this, Kev, I miss you bud.

(for those following such things, my job interview was postponed til Monday - I didn't get the news until after I'd shaved and ironed a shirt. Curses!)