Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Patiently waiting for the next quake...

I glanced over at my neighbor's apartment - his window is five feet from mine - and see that he has a cat peering back at me. Some light jazz is playing from the other apartment. Its rather mellow, feeling like a lazy summer evening someplace else other than L.A. Which is kind of nice.

I love Los Angeles... although the idea of moving some place else for a short time always sounds good. Would be great to be a well paid writer so I could go away for a month or more now and again to write or for research. Memphis always sounds nice. A trip to somewhere interesting that is long enough that you feel like you've blended into the culture a little... long enough that you learn the name of a local waitress or bartender or even the mailman.

But even when I leave L.A. for more than a week, to visit family anyway, I start going nuts. I love being with them, but feel antsy that I'm away from the action. When I'm not working I'm afraid I'm missing the chance to work. Or, worst of all, I'm afraid I'll miss a televised car chase, or even an earthquake. I love within months of moving to L.A. we had wildfires in Malibu, mudslides, and a major earthquake. And shortly thereafter, the whole O.J. thing. Stuff hasn't been quite as exciting since then... but I wanna be here when the shit happens.

I finally ate the last of Girl Scout Cookies today. I bought three boxes of Samoas on Saturday - had to pull my last $20 out of savings to get them. I have no regrets. Well, my stomach has a few - the belly can only take so much junk food at once. Oh, and, yeah, I regret that I didn't buy more. But there's always next year...